Are we scientists? No!
Are we hemp farmers? No!
Are we CBD manufacturers? No!
Are we consumer advocates? Yes!
We've been told its the Wild, Wild, West in the CBD industry by leading researchers. So get your guns out-not literally-but everyone needs to be informed or the latest Snake Oil Salesman might get your money!
In 2017, one of our partners, Connie, was introduced to CBD in the chiropractic office she operates with her husband. Both she and her husband were very skeptical. But after a month, the results the patients and herself had were amazing. She then began to research and order more products on line, not realizing the lack of regulation regarding CBD claims, she ordered some substandard products. Some didn't even have CBD, but merely hemp seed oil, great for nutrition but not very therapeutic.
More time on the internet and she began conversations with farmers and processors. What an education!
In the meantime, Judy was introduced to CBD for her dog who experiences chronic gastritis symptoms. His results were astounding, he went from a dog with constant tummy aches and regurgitation to a happy 10 year old dog who now sprints and spins around the barn.
With a neophyte's understanding of phytocannabinoids and the endocannabinoid system we both realized how important it was to know what your buying. We visited farms and processing facilities in Kentucky and Colorado. We developed a pharmaceutical grade line of CBD products for people, pets and horses. Our production partner's chromatographic purification process has been able to selectively remove the only psychoactive component, Delta 9-THC, from the phytocannabinoid-rich hemp oil. The absence of detectable THC is confirmed through High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) tests and the State of Colorado. This allows us to identify the naturally occurring THC and separate it out, instantly, while leaving intact the other synergistic components of the oil. Folium Biosciences has been certified by the CDPHE (Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment) as a producer of 0.0% THC products and has been issued Free Sale Certification.
To educate consumers and provide an affordable, effective product became our mission.
What we learned:
- Anyone can put a product in a bottle, label it and sell it without any regulation
- Anyone can buy hemp, distill it at home and label it with the amount of CBD they think it should have
- China is sending CBD isolate and other hemp products to the USA after they have used the growing hemp plant to bio accumulate the toxins in the air and soil. Instead of being beneficial it could be the opposite if used therapeutically
- There are great USA certified farmers, processing facilities and researchers providing and producing great products
- There are great product lines in retail stores and the internet providing great CBD products with verification of their claims
- That we could directly develop a relationship with farmers and processors and create our own simple line of CBD products that could benefit people, pets and horses